- Gentrification and the Struggle Against It
Gentrification and the Struggle Against It
- GLEN FORD, co-founder and executive editor of Black Agenda Report, the journal of African American political thought and action (www.blackagendareport.com), to discuss the process of gentrification in city development
- KENNETH SALTMAN, Associate Professor of Educational Policy Studies at DePaul University, and author most recently of Capitalizing on Disaster: Taking and Breaking Public Schools, to speak on Obama’s appointment of Arne Duncan as Secretary of Education, and the role that charter schools play in the displacement of poor communities
- DANIELLA ANN COOK, the current Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Network on Racial and Ethnic Inequality at Duke University, and Project Coordinator for The National Coalition for Quality Education in New Orleans (www.ncqeno.com), to speak about the relationships between school reform and gentrification in post-Katrina New Orleans.
- EL KILOMBO will discuss our effort to build community in the midst of Durham’s ongoing citywide gentrification process.